- 1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds red, black, green, or blue plums (tart or sweet; about 5 large), quartered, pitted
Finely grind star anise, clove, and cinnamon stick in spice mill or coffee grinder.
Combine spice mixture, vinegar, sugar, ginger, mustard seeds, and pepper in heavy large saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and bring to boil. Add plums; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chutney thickens and chunky sauce forms, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool. Season to taste with salt.